Moving Home

We have a variety of schemes to help our tenants move home

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have changed the way we are delivering some of our services

See further information about changes to other services.

You can apply to move house through the Housing Register. We’ll assess you application and put you into a priority band.  You will be able to bid on homes that are advertised through Dorset Home Choice.  These include homes managed by housing associations.

House swapping

You could also register for a mutual exchange through Home Swapper. This is a free service with a national database of all council and housing association tenants in the UK who are interested in swapping their homes.

Before you move you need permission from us and any other council or housing association involved. Introductory tenants are not allowed to apply for a mutual exchange.

We may refuse to give our permission if:

  • We feel the home you want is too big or small for your needs
  • The home you want has special features for disabled or elderly people that you do not need
  • We have taken action against you for rent arrears, anti-social behaviour or any other breach of your tenancy
  • Your home was let to you as part of your employment 

Sometimes you will need to meet other conditions, such as carrying out repairs, before we will give you permission to move.

Other schemes and offers

If you would like to move to a smaller property our Rightsize scheme offers financial incentives and practical help with the costs of moving house. Or, you might like to look into low cost homeownership schemes.

To find out more contact your Housing Officer.