Home Contents Insurance

We do not insure your home contents such as furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism or burst pipes.  Unfortunately many tenants do not realise this until it is too late. 

If you would like to have insurance for your household goods and contents it is your responsibility to arrange appropriate cover.

To help you the we asked insurance companies to submit details of their insurance schemes and premium rates. As a result of this we have agreed with Thistle Insurance that they will arrange and make available the Crystal Insurance scheme underwritten by Allianz Insurance. The scheme is open to all Bournemouth Borough Council tenants and leaseholders.  

The Crystal Insurance scheme offers tenants and leaseholders home contents insurance cover that can be paid fortnightly or monthly by cash, monthly by direct debit, or annually. The cover is available in all postcodes and there is no excess.

Premium rates start from £1.31 per fortnight for those over 60 and £1.73 per fortnight for all others.

You can however choose to make your own arrangements through any other insurance company.

If you have no insurance cover then now is the time to consider protecting your belongings.

How to apply

You can obtain information by calling Crystal Insurance directly on 0345 450 7286 ( local rate number).  You can also visit their website www.crystal-insurance.co.uk or email crystal@thistleinsurance.co.uk

What the insurance covers

  • Household goods and personal property will be insured whilst in your home.
  • Theft of your keys.
  • Contents in your freezer.
  • Personal liability.
  • Accidental damage to glass, mirrors and electrical equipment

Accidental damage

Accidental damage isn't covered as standard other than what is detailed above. However, you can get a full accidental damage option at an extra cost to cover things like accidental damage to carpets and furniture.

Optional cover

You can get optional cover at an extra cost for personal belongings, wheelchairs and mobility scooters, hearing aids and pedal cycles outside the home.