Joint Tenancies

You can apply for, or add a partner to make a joint tenancy

If you have a secure lifetime tenancy, and you would like to add your spouse or civil partner to your tenancy please contact Tenancy Advice Team

To do this you must have:

  • A clear rent account (no arrears)
  • No pending court proceedings on the tenancy
  • No charges for repairs left unpaid
  • No breaches of your tenancy agreement
  • No anti-social behaviour charges against you, your household or your visitors

The person you would like to add must not have:

  • A history of causing anti-social behaviour or domestic violence 
  • A current tenancy for a council or housing association property
  • Any property of their own

We look at each case individually and may refuse to create a joint tenancy, we will tell you our reasons for this.  

You cannot add a partner to an introductory or flexible fixed term tenancy.

It is not possible to add other family members or friends to your tenancy agreement. However, in some cases other family members may have succession rights to your tenancy if you die.

How do I remove someone else from a joint tenancy?

To remove a name from a joint tenancy you need to get a County Court Order. Contact the tenancy advice team for further information.

Alternatively, one joint tenant can serve us with a notice to quit. This means the joint tenancy agreement will end. The remaining tenant may be able to get a sole tenancy for the property depending on their circumstances.