Your Tenancy

Your tenancy agreement explains the terms and conditions you must follow and what you can expect from us

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have changed the way we are delivering some of our services

Our focus remains on providing:

  • emergency repairs
  • supporting the elderly and vulnerable
  • urgent housing management advice
  • help and advice on paying your rent

See further information about changes to other services.

When you become one of our tenants you'll get a tenancy agreement. This will either be a lifetime secure tenancy, a fixed term secure tenancy or an introductory tenancy.

Secure tenants rights and responsibilities are detailed in the 1985 Housing Act. These include the right to buy and, in some circumstances, the right to pass your tenancy on to someone else.

If you have a lifetime secure tenancy you can live in your home for the rest of your life as long as you keep to the terms of the tenancy agreement.

If you have a fixed term tenancy we'll review it at the end of the fixed term to see if you are still eligible for a council tenancy.

We can only change the terms of a secure tenancy by talking to you about the changes we want to make and we'll provide written notice of the changes, telling you when they come into effect.

Losing your tenancy

To end your tenancy we need to serve a Notice and then apply for a court order. We can end your tenancy for the following reasons:

  • If you don't pay your rent
  • Breaking the terms of the tenancy agreement
  • A resident or visitor to the home is causing serious or persistence nuisance to others
  • A resident or visitor is using the home for immoral or illegal purposes
  • A resident or visitor was arrested for an offense committed in or near the property
  • A resident or visitor has caused damage to the home or communal parts of the building
  • When a false statement was made in the application for the tenancy

We may end your tenancy and provide you with a different property if:

  • You and your family are  able-bodied but your  home has been specially adapted for use by disabled or the elderly
  • You take over the tenancy (succeed) from a partner or relative but the property is too big for your needs
  • We need to carry out demolition or major repairs and improvements to the property

Giving notice to end your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy you need to tell us and give us 28 days notice that you're moving out. We don't need 28 days notice if the tenant has died or been transferred to a different council property.