Housing Support Services

If you qualify for help with housing there are a number of ways we can support you

We run several schemes designed to support you if you need help with housing, but even if you don’t qualify for any of these services, we can still give you advice and information.

Rent Deposit Loan Scheme

We’ll give people who meet the eligibility criteria and are homeless or facing homelessness a loan to pay their rent deposit.

If you're given a loan you must pay this back over an agreed period of time. You qualify for the Rent Deposit Scheme if you: 

  • Can’t get funds any other way
  • Agree to repay all the funds we provide, in regular instalments
  • Have a local connection, under the Housing Act 1996 (Part 7)

Housing Related Support

If you are having trouble with your tenancy and find it difficult to live independently, Housing Related Support may be for you. This can help you with things like cooking and budgeting. To qualify you must:

  • Have housing related support needs
  • Have a local connection to Bournemouth
  • Be aged 16 or over
  • Be willing to work to an agreed support plan 

Housing Register

The Housing Register is the waiting list for housing provided by us or a housing association. To qualify for the waiting list, you must be one of the following:

  • Homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • Living in unsanitary or overcrowded conditions
  • Need to move because of an illness or welfare issue
  • Need to move because your personal safety is being threatened

You also need to be one of the following:

  • Have lived in Bournemouth for at least three years 
  • Work at least sixteen hours a week on a permanent contract
  • Have close family that have lived in Bournemouth for at least the last 5 years.

If your household income is more than six times the Local Housing Allowance level, we won't accept your application.

You can find out about the legal terms used here are from the Government’s legislation website.