Accommodation Safety And Standards

If you rent in Bournemouth and are having trouble managing your home or maintaining your tenancy, we can help you. 

Maintenance Problems

If your landlord won't sort out your maintenance problems, the Private Sector Enforcement Team can offer services, advice and in certain cases enforcement action. 

Accommodation standards

  • Private rented accommodation should meet the minimum standards of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).  Our Enforcement Policy is available to view.
  • Properties must meet all the requirements explained in the Housing Act (2004), Environmental Protection Act (1990), Landlord and Tenant Act (1995) and the Planning and Building Control legislation
  • A Gas Safe registered contractor must check all gas appliances annually
  • All gas installations must meet the requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
  • All electrical installations should meet the requirements of BS7671: 1992 (British Standards for low voltage electrical appliances). Work should be carried out by a registered contractor
  • If you are renting a property that is already furnished, the arrangement must meet the requirements explained in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 

The Redress Scheme (England) Order 2014

All lettings agents and property managers in England are legally required to join one of the three following Government approved schemes:

This means that you complain to an independent person about bad service and prevent disputes from getting worse.

If you are in a dispute with your landlord, report it to our Private Sector Housing team who can help advise you about your rights.