Poor Housing Conditions and Complaints Procedure

If you live in a private rented or Housing Association property and it is in disrepair and you are struggling with your landlord or letting agent to get the repairs carried out, we may be able to help you. 

Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and guidance

Advice and guidance is available to help support those that are privately renting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

See further information about changes to services.

Where possible, or where it is required, verification checks will be made. We would then write to your landlord or letting agent informing them we have received a complaint about their property and raise the issues with them. We would give them 21 days to reply to our letter and to provide details of what works they are intending to carry out.

If we do not receive a response or it is felt the response will not satisfactorily address the complaint, an inspection and assessment in accordance with Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004, Housing Health and Rating System (HHSRS) will be carried out.

The outcome of this assessment will then determine whether further action against the landlord is appropriate.  The landlord will be informed of their repair obligations and if they still fail to carry out works, a statutory notice may be served.

How to Make a Complaint

We advise that you put your disrepair issues in writing to your landlord or letting agent.  Allow a minimum of 14 days. You could use this sample letter.

If you don’t receive a response or the response is unsatisfactory, you can make a complaint to the Council.

When you have written to your landlord or letting agent, make sure you keep a copy of the letter.  This could ensure you’re protected at a later date should your landlord retaliate by serving you with a notice when the repairs are significant enough to warrant enforcement action.   This is detailed in the Deregulation Act 2015 and is active from 1st October 2015.