Single Dwellings

Houses Occupied by a Single Family

Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and guidance

Advice and guidance is available to help support those that are privately renting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

See further information about changes to services.

The landlord is responsible for ensuring kitchens and bathrooms are maintained in full working order. The property should be suitably heated and all doors and windows should be weatherproof and in working order.

The outside of the property should also be maintained, gutters should not leak and the building itself should not be in disrepair.

Smoke detectors, ideally mains-linked, should be fitted but a 10-year sealed battery detector will suffice. A carbon monoxide alarm is not essential but should be provided as good practice.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, state a landlord must, by law, provide tenants with an annual gas safety certificate (CP12). All gas engineers must be registered on the Gas Safe Register. They will carry an identify card that you can ask to see. If you are unsure about an engineer, you can check their registration online on the Gas Safe website. For more information on gas safety advice and to report a property with no gas certificate, visit the HSE website.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) should also be supplied to you at the beginning of your tenancy.  For more information on EPCs, see the (EPCs) and Renting Homes – a Landlord’s Guide