Who Can Use a Blue Badge
You don’t need to be registered as disabled to apply for a Blue Badge
You can apply for a Blue Badge if any of the following situations apply to you:
- You can’t walk far due to a permanent disability
- You have a child under 3 who needs bulky medical equipment or treatment
- You are an organisation that transports disabled people
Do I automatically qualify?
The following people will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.
- If you're driving on behalf of someone registered blind
- You get the higher rate mobility part of your Disability Living Allowance
- You get a War Pension Mobility Supplement
- You have been assessed by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) and so awarded a benefit with the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
When you apply, you’ll be asked questions about your eligibility. You’ll need to provide a copy of any letter that proves your eligibility before you find out if you can get a Blue Badge.
Applying for a Blue Badge with a non-visible (hidden) condition
From 30 August 2019, the government will be introducing new criteria for Blue Badge applications in England.
Due to the nature of non-visible (hidden) conditions, applications will be assessed by looking at an applicant's needs. Having a certain condition or disability does not automatically entitle somebody to a Blue Badge.
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
An applicant would be automatically eligible under the new criteria if, in their PIP mobility assessment, they scored 10 points in “Planning and following a journey”.
Specifically, the 10 points (Descriptor E), which says: “Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.”
If the applicant did not score this, they can still apply and their application will be assessed.
There is no automatic eligibility under the new criteria with other benefits, including:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
Applicants can still apply and their application will be assessed.
Report Blue Badge Fraud
If you suspect misuse of a blue badge, please let us know by completing our Fraud Referral Report Form.