Challenging a Penalty Charge Notice

What to do if you get a parking fine you disagree with


Can I see the photographs taken of my vehicle before making a challenge?

Yes, you can see photos online. You’ll need:

  • Your Penalty Charge Notice number
  • Your vehicle’s registration number  
  • Adobe Shockwave to view moving images

Discretion Guidance

You can look at our discretion guidance for the enforcement and cancellation of penalty charge notices.

If you disagree with your Penalty Charge Notice

You can challenge a Penalty Charge Notice online or by post or email.  If you challenge within the discount period stated on your notice and we reject it, you can still pay at the discounted rate. However, you can’t challenge and pay the ticket at the same time.

If you challenge after this period you'll have to pay the full amount. We’ll write with our decision even if we cancel your charge.

What if my challenge is rejected?

We will write to the DVLA if we don't receive your payment after 28 days to obtain the  name and address of the registered owner and issue a Notice to Owner.

How to make a Representation on receipt of the Notice to Owner?

This can be done in the following ways:

  • Online (Please enter the PIN number from the Notice to Owner)
  • By email
  • By post

What if my Representation is rejected?

We’ll send you a letter called a Notice of Rejection. This will tell you how much you need to pay and when you need to pay us by.

If you want to appeal further, you can contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).


British Parking Association video on what to do if you receive a Penalty Charge Notice.