Byelaws Access and Policies
We want you to enjoy our green spaces in a way that protects them and is safe for everyone
Our Byelaws help to protect our sites, the wildlife and the people who visit. Some sites have Byelaws that are more specific, you can find these at the bottom of the page.
- No climbing (except on climbing equipment)
- Don’t move any structures
- Don’t build or put up any structures
- No camping
- No trading - includes Personal Trainers, Boot Camps, Dog Walking etc.
- No entry when sites are closed
- No metal detectors
- No throwing missiles – for example, stones, branches or lumps of earth
- No fires (including BBQs)
- Don’t use bikes, skateboards, skates or scooters unless you’re in an area that says you can
- No public shows or exhibitions without our consent
- No loud, annoying noises
- Don’t obstruct any council officer or representative
- Don’t obstruct anyone else using the site.
- Close gates behind you (Stour Valley, Hengistbury Head, Kinson Common and Turbary Common)
- No firearms or fireworks (Stour Valley, Hengistbury Head, Kinson Common and Turbary Common)
Animals, Wildlife and Planting.
- Only ride horses on bridleways
- You can’t graze your own animals on our land
- Don’t walk on flower beds or areas set aside for growing plants/grass
- Don’t take plants, flowers, soil, stones or trees
- No hunting or any other activity likely to cause injury to wildlife (Except where fishing is allowed)
- Download the Dog control orders document
- No cycling (except where permitted)
- No vehicles on site except where permitted or with our permission
- No parking on flower beds
- No overnight parking (12 midnight – 6am)
- Only play ball games where allowed
- No archery
- Only play golf on a golf course
- No field sports (discus, javelin, shot and hammer)
- No games that are likely to cause damage to the site or its plants/trees
- Only fly kites safely and in permitted areas (Hengistbury Head only)
- No combustible fuelled model aircraft flying (except where licensed flying is allowed - electrically powered aircraft are permitted subject to CAA rules)
- No model aircraft of any type in local nature reserves (including Hengistbury Head, Turbury Common or Stour Valley)
- Don’t land aircraft, hang gliders or paragliders except in the case of an emergency in local nature reserves
- Don’t launch hang gliders or paragliders in local nature reserves
- Millhams Mead, Northbourne. Monday & Wednesday 5pm - 8pm. Saturday 10am - 1pm. Note - this is a restricted site, and also requires Air Traffic Control permission.
- Meyrick Park, Central Bournemouth. Sunday 2pm - 8pm.
- Slades Farm. Monday to Friday and Saturdays (not Sundays). Flying is only permitted with written consent of the Council. Contact us.
- No swimming in ponds or lakes or streams
- No polluting
- Don’t interfere with lifesaving equipment
- No model boats in local nature reserves
- No launching, mooring or beaching of any vessels including hovercraft in local nature reserves
We can lawfully remove anyone who breaks these rules. You can also be fined up to a maximum of £500.
Area/Site specific byelaws