Knyveton Gardens is a lively local pocket park in the heart of Boscombe.
History of the Park
Knyveton Gardens can be found in the heart of Boscombe.
The Gardens were initially leased by the Borough, from the Trustees of the late W I Trehearne, for an annual rental of £100 on 21st July 1885, for a term of 99 years. By 1887, the Gardens, including lawn tennis, had been laid out and the Postman’s Band played regularly on Wednesday afternoons. Permission for a croquet ground was allowed in 1895 and a bowls green had been established by 1912. After the first World War it was recommended that a full size bowling green replace the existing green and tennis courts.
The freehold of part of the Gardens was sold to the Council as public pleasure gardens by Sir George Meyrick, 15th June 1922 for £1,000.
Further land was purchased for £100, 7th March 1929, from 48 Southcote Road, for the purpose of erecting a new Pavilion, which was much appreciated by the Knyveton Gardens Bowls Club in a letter November 1929.
During the 2nd World War the Pavilion was used by A.R.P. personnel, whilst metal railings were removed for re-use.
During the 1990’s, the old Pavilion was demolished and a new one erected nearby; on the site of the former putting green a sensory garden and pond were also created. In 1999 a petanque court was constructed, replacing a crazy golf course on the site of the old pavilion. The petanque court is still there, but is no longer in use.
Re-colour coating of the tennis court surfaces was completed in June 2000 and new lighting and fencing were installed in 2004 to improve security and safety.
Sports, events and leisure today
Knyveton Gardens is home to Knyveton Gardens Bowling club and there are three full-sized tennis courts, operated by St Sebastian Tennis Academy, who also run the tennis courts in Seafield Gardens.
The space is popular with cyclists, runners and dog walkers.
The site is easily accessible all the year round. Access for wheelchairs and buggies is unrestricted through the site. Disabled toilets are available in the pavilion.
There is a small group of local residents who litter picker pick and weed, to help maintain the area.
Located in the Borough of Bournemouth, Knyveton Gardens is situated between Bournemouth Town Centre and the centre of Boscombe BH1 3SR.
The Gardens are surrounded by residential housing, small private hotels and guest houses in Frances Road and Derby Road, and by small industrial units and trade outlets in Southcote Road.
Use our map to find Knyveton Gardens - marked as number 18.