Meyrick Park was originally heathland.Today it is a popular park, well-used for sports, events and leisure activities.
History of the Park
Meyrick Park was originally part of a huge area of heathland registered in the Domesday Book of 1086. The area has had various different names over the centuries including Poors Common, Turbary Common and Malmesbury Plantation.
The Christchurch Inclosure Act of 1802 allowed the land to be sold to Sir George Ivison Tapps who created a plantation of Scots and maritime pine and it remained as common land to allow local people to graze sheep and cattle, collect honey from hives and dig turf for fuel.
The park has remained in the same family although their name changed to Meyrick in 1876, to protect an inheritance.
In 1894 it became the first municipal park in the town with a bowling green, playing fields and an 18 hole golf course,which was the first municipally owned golf links in the country. The common access continues to this day and Meyrick Park is presently controlled by Bournemouth Borough Council.
Sports, events and leisure today
Meyrick Park is home to Oakmeidans rugby club, The club golf and gym, plus tennis and bowls with Bournemouth Bowling club
Events are also held here, such as 'Proms in the Park', and the space is popular with cyclists, runners and dog walkers.
Meyrick Park can be accessed from Braidley Road/Central Drive in the South, or from Meyrick Park Crescent in the north.
Use our map to find Meyrick Park.