The History of Seafield Gardens
Find out about the history of this popular recreation ground
Originally a Turbary common (for turf-cutting) we bought this site in 1906. In 1906 a few paths had been cut into the heathland to get a good view across the common.
A few years later a bowls green and tennis courts were opened here and the pavilion was built in 1911. A formal park was laid out in 1929 and by 1936 there were two bowling greens and 14 tennis courts!
Three of the tennis courts became hard surface courts in 1956 and the rest were all used for other purposes, one of these was to provide a children’s playground.
The most interesting part of Seafield Gardens is the water tower. This is a privately owned Grade II Listed Building and was built in 1898 to supply drinking water to Southbourne-on-sea after the pumping station at Iford stopped working.