Hengistbury Head Land Train
A picturesque circular route between Hengistbury Head main car park and Mudeford Spit
- The Hengistbury Head land train service is not currently running.
- To book the Land Rover for Beach Hut users or the Black House, please book at least 24 hours in advance. Email us to book.
Tickets for the Hengistbury Head land train service are available from the guards on the train.
Ticket prices are one-way. We can now take cash or card payments on the train. Please pay the guard on the train.
- Adults £2.00
- Children (4-16 years) £0.60
- Family Ticket (2 adults, up to 3 children and 1 dog) £5.00
- Dogs £0.20
- Luggage from £0.50 (pushchairs are free)
- Boats/trailers from £5.00
- Land Rover £18.00. This service is for beach hut and Black House users to transport their luggage or equipment. Booking required at least 24 hours in advance. Please call 01202 425517 or email us to book.
- Groups: for groups of 20 or more people, please email us to confirm a price.
Special offers and latest news
Please join us on Facebook or Twitter for our latest news, special offers and timetable updates.
The train service runs on the scenic route between the main car park (BH6 4EN) and Mudeford Spit.
Enjoy views of Christchurch Harbour and the Priory. There is a wide variety of habitats including heathland, grassland, scrub, woodland, freshwater wetland and coastland.
On this ancient headland you will find places that are windy, sheltered, wet, dry, muddy, sandy, stony, sunny, shady, flat, steep and salty.
These different conditions provide homes, food and water for many species of plants and animals. The headland has national and international wildlife protection.
There is a lot to do at Hengistbury Head. As well as enjoying the land train, there is an outdoor education centre. You will find great places to eat and drink and sandy beaches.
Of course there is the Visitor Centre with a shop, exhibition, wildlife garden and interpretation area.
You can only board the train at either the main terminus (by the Hiker Cafe) or at the Mudeford Spit terminus.
Please tell the driver or guard if you wish to get off the train at either the Hengistbury Head Visitor Centre or the First Tap for beach huts and beaches.
The train runs daily at regular intervals at the following times (except Christmas Day):
- Winter - 10am and 3pm
- Summer - 10am and 4pm
- School summer holidays - 10am and 5pm
During the winter months, poor weather or very low demand, we may suspend the service for that day. Please check our Facebook page for updates, or call us on 01202 425517 to check before coming.
The train leaves the Hengistbury Head car park terminus (next to the Hiker cafe) every 30 minutes on the hour and the half hour (no trains run between 1 and 1:30pm).
The train comes back from Mudeford spit approximately every 30 minutes at quarter to and quarter past the hour.
On busy days (at weekends and school holidays) we often run two trains. This means they can run about every twenty minutes.
Please call us on 01202 425517 or email us.
One carriage on the train provides access for wheelchairs.