Early Help Privacy Statement

Early Help Services, including the National Troubled Families scheme

This page explains how we hold information about you and how it will be processed by the Family Support Hub and Early Help Services.

You can also find out about the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 and your rights on the Council’s privacy web page.

Who we are

The Childrens Trust and its partners is made up of a range of services from Bournemouth Borough Council and other public, voluntary and charitable agencies that work with children, young people and their families. These include

  • community health
  • Family Support Hub
  • schools
  • nurseries
  • social care
  • specialist services like the Community Adolescent Mental Health team (CAMHs). 

Collectively these staff teams are referred to as the ‘Childrens Workforce’ and those that operate at an Early Help level form the ‘Early Help Partnership’.

Your family’s information will be processed on a secure electronic case management system provided by the Childrens Trust for which Bournemouth Borough Council is the Data Controller.

Additional agencies providing support may also store your information on their own systems, if so they will inform you.   

Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. 

Why we collect your personal information

We will collect enough personal information to provide services that safeguard your children’s emotional and physical health, their well-being and meet their developmental needs, in order that they get the best possible start in life and continued support whilst they grow up.

A member of the Children's Workforce will work in partnership with you to agree what the main worries and concerns for your children are and make plans for the best support. 

We are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use. This document covers information you have provided direct to a member of the Children’s Workforce and information which has been shared by other organisations.

We will keep your personal information for fifteen years.

If we use your personal information for research or analysis, we will always keep your details anonymous or use a fake name.

We will not sell your personal information to anyone else.

The legal basis for using your information

According to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, we must have a reason to collect and use your information.

This will be to:

  • Deliver services and support to you and your family
  • Manage those services we provide to you and your family
  • Train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your services
  • Check the quality of services
  • Help with research and planning of new services.

There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information.

  • Legal obligation: The information is used to enable the duties placed upon the Local Authority, the Children's Trust and partner agencies who work with children, young people and their families in the Childrens Act 2004, the Children and Young Persons Act 2008 and the Statutory Guidance of 2013, 2015 and 2018, Working Together to Safeguard Children.
  • Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.

We may also need to use sensitive personal information categorised as ‘special’ which requires more protection to keep it safe. It’s often information you would not want widely known and is very personal to you. This may include information that can reveal your:

  • Sexuality or sexual health
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs or spiritual beliefs
  • Ethnicity or nationality
  • Physical or mental health
  • Genetic or biometric data
  • Criminal history

We will take extra care of this data. The legal reason for us to collect and use this personal information is:

  • It is necessary to perform our statutory duties and required by law as detailed in the Childrens Act 2004, the Children and Young Persons Act 2008 and the Statutory Guidance of 2013, 2015 and 2018, Working Together to Safeguard Children.
  • It is necessary to deliver health or social care services
  • It is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes

Who we may share your information with

Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

When we share your information, we will ensure the sharing is lawful, fair, proportionate, relevant and necessary.  On that basis, we will share with Practitioners from across the Children’s Workforce that are to be part of the team providing support to your family, sometimes referred to as the TAF (Team Around the Family) CIN review group or core group.   

It is not possible to list here every single agency that this may represent, the lists below are not exhaustive but are meant to give an overall impression of the types of agencies that we may share information with or seek information from, if relevant and necessary.

The teams/organisation/services they might typically include from Universal Services:

  • The Nursery, Childminder, Play-Group, Children's Centre, pre-school, school or college that your child attends
  • Your children’s G.P, Health Visitor, Community Nursery Nurse, School Nurse
  • Housing services, including Social Housing providers
  • Additional services provided by the Family Support Hub
    • Intensive Family support
    • Intensive Youth support
    • Parenting Programmes
    • Youth Projects
    • Young Carers
    • Portage
    • Early Years SEN
    • Education Social Work
  • ART Brokerage Team

Or if relevant and necessary; Targeted Specialist Services, such as:

  • Speech and Language
  • Community Paediatrician
  • Community Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHs)
  • Addiction related services associated with, drugs, alcohol or gambling
  • Social Care
  • Various Counselling services
  • Young People’s Eating Disorders Services
  • Police
  • Probation
  • Community Safety
  • Youth Offending Team
  • Other Local Authorities that you may have just moved from, or your child still attends school in

And Voluntary, Private and Independent sector service providers, if relevant and necessary; offering services, such as:

  • Organisations set up to deal with specific health characteristics
    • Autism
    • Deafness
    • Blindness
    • Aspergers
    • Diabetes
    • Disability
    • Mental and Emotional Health
    • Dyslexia
    • Meningitis
    • Cancer
  • Childrens and Young Peoples clubs and associations
    • Scouts
    • Boys Brigade
    • Cubs
    • Guides
    • Football
    • Karate
    • Netball
    • Athletics
    • Boxing
  • Bereavement
  • Advocacy
  • Domestic Abuse
  • Faith Organisations
  • Sexuality
  • Self-Injury Support
  • Community Associations
  • Victim Support
  • International Care Network

And, local branches of National organisations if relevant and necessary, such as:

  • YMCA
  • Barnardo’s
  • Citizens Advice
  • Childrens Society
  • Food Bank
  • Rape Crisis
  • Gingerbread
  • Princes Trust Programmes
  • Relate
  • Amnesty International
  • Shelter
  • Safer Families

Occasionally, other Childrens Workforce staff may be asked to quality assure the support, advice and services you have received to ensure they are of a sufficiently high standard. 

The Childrens Trust and its partners have committed to the Governments Troubled Families Programme which helps families who have difficulties 'turn around' their lives.

There are some additional Troubled Families rules for using your information.  

If your family is eligible for the additional support and resources this programme provides your information will be joined with information from other agencies like various NHS teams, Department for Work and Pensions, Police, Ministry of Justice, Probation services, housing services, schools and Youth Offending Teams to help the government and local services understand whether the programme has had a positive impact on families.

The information will only be shared to help identify and support the families who need the programme. Our information sharing agreement with the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) helps make sure that:

  • The information can only be used for research and is anonymous
  • It cannot be used to make decisions about individuals nor can individuals be identified from reports
  • Measures are in place to prevent unauthorised use of the data.  The DCLG and Information Commissioner’s Office have approved the proposed systems.
  • The additional information collated for Troubled Families will be destroyed after five years.

Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide personal information to other organisations. This is often because a court has ordered it for reasons, including:

  • If a child is taken into care;
  • If someone is taken into care under mental health law 

We may also share your personal information when we feel there’s a good reason that’s more important than protecting your privacy. This doesn’t happen often, but we may share your information:

  • If there are serious risks to the public, our staff or to other professionals
  • To protect a child
  • To protect adults who are thought to be at risk. For example, if they are frail, confused or cannot understand what is happening to them. 

For all of these reasons the risk must be serious before we can override your right to privacy. 

If we’re worried about your physical safety or feel we need to take action to protect you from being harmed in other ways, we’ll discuss this with you. If possible, we will get your permission to tell others about your situation before doing so.

We may still share your information if we believe the risk is serious enough to do so.

There may also be rare occasions when the risk to others is so great that we need to share information straight away.

If this is the case, we’ll make sure that we record what information we share and our reasons for doing so. We’ll let you know what we’ve done and why if we think it is safe to do so.

If you do not want your data to be shared in this way, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

We will not give information about your child to anyone unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. If you want to receive a copy of the information about your child that we hold, please contact the Family Support Hub at: family.supporthub@bcpcouncil.gov.uk

Accessing the information we hold about you

You have the right to request, in writing, details of the information that is held about you and also the right to access a copy of the information. This may be by providing copies of documents or by inviting you to view the records at the Family Support Hub, if appropriate. Please see our webpage for further information about how to make a subject access request

The data controller, Bournemouth Borough Council will not charge a fee to access your information. Sometimes there may be information that we are not allowed to show you, such as:

  • Legal information or advice
  • Crime prevention and detection records
  • Information that we believe may be harmful to you and your well-being
  • Details about or provided by other people – this is called third party information (For example, information from the Police or Department for Work and Pensions)

You may also ask us to:

  • stop processing your information if this causes or might cause damage or distress
  • make decisions about you using your information by automated means (For example, using computers to decide on an entitlement)
  • amend any of your data which you feel is inaccurate. You can also ask for information to be blocked, erased or destroyed.
  • transfer your information electronically to another service provider.
  • consider a claim for compensation for any damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations.

Further information

If you have a concern about how we are using your information, we would ask you to contact us in the first instance using the address below:

Family Support Hub
Bournemouth Learning Centre
Ensbury Ave
BH10 4HG


Data Protection Officer

If you are not satisfied with a response to your concerns from the Family Support Hub, the Council’s Data Protection Officer, can review any issues regarding Information Rights legislation if necessary.

The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the address below:

Data Protection Officer
Bournemouth and Poole Information Governance Team Bournemouth Borough Council
Town Hall

Information Commissioner

For further information about Information Rights legislation, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk or by telephone 0303 123 1113