Highway structural maintenance programme 2020/21
Start dates to be confirmed unless stated otherwise.
Start dates to be confirmed unless stated otherwise.
Resurfacing: Traditional replacement of existing road surface with new, usually restricted to the upper layers of the road construction. Due to budget restraints this type of work is generally carried out on our classified road network and only used on our unclassified (residential) roads as a last resort.
Works planned for:
B3061 Seaview Road – from Ashley Road roundabout to Grove Road. Resurfacing complete, outstanding lining currently under review.
C332 Richmond Road - from B3061 Ashley Road to A35 Bournemouth Road - works complete.
A341 Wimborne Road – from Ferncroft Road to the Northbourne roundabout. Scheme delayed until 2021-22.
C340 Stanpit – from Purewell Cross Road roundabout to Argyle Road.
C334 York Road (part) and Sopers Lane (part) – works complete.
Wimborne Road, Moordown including - sections of carriageway from junction with A3060 Castle Lane West to and including junction with The Grove. Works complete.
Ensbury Park Road – from adjacent No.10 to the junction with Wimborne Road. Works complete.
Willow Drive – from junction with Stour Road to Sopers Lane - works complete.
North Road – from signal junction with Ashley Road to a point approximately 100m south of Springfield Road and a section of Springfield Road from Seaview roundabout to the boundary of No.46 Springfield Road - works complete
Springfield Road - works complete.
Preventative Maintenance: extending the life of the existing road surface by preventing pot holes and follows department for transport guidance that 'prevention is better than cure'. Surface treatments are laid directly on top of the existing road without removing the original material.
Micro Asphalt: also referred to as ‘Slurry Surfacing’ is a cost effective treatment that protects the existing road surface with the application of a thin layer of asphalt. After the road is patch repaired, micro asphalt is applied as a quick drying wet slurry and serves to prevent pot holes and helps regulate or smooth out some of the bumpier roads. This process is commonly used where a surface dressing or carriageway sealing solution is not appropriate.
Dates differ from those originally advertised due to several mechanical problems with the contractor’s plant and we apologise for the inconvenience. Affected residents have been contacted by the contractor with details.
Works planned for (dates may be subject to change due to unsuitable weather):
- Newlyn Way - 3 October
- Fraser Road - works complete
- Scott Close - works complete
- Salterns Road - 4 October
- Britannia Road - 4 October
- Wessex Road - works complete
- Curzon Road - 4 October
- Holmhurst Avenue - 30 September
- Lakewood Road - 29-30 September
- Shepherd Close - 30 September
- Pinewood Road - works complete
- Glenavon Road - 1 October
- Draper Road - works complete
- Muscliffe Road - works complete
- Ridley Road - works complete
- Ripon Road - works complete
- Clive Road (Winton) - works complete
- Wellington Road (Springbourne) - 21 and 22 September
- Knyveton Road - St Swithins Rd to Derby Rd (Boscombe) - 23 September
- Shelbourne Road - 24, 25 and 28 September
- Winston Avenue – works complete
- Mayford Road, including cul-de-sacs - works complete
- B3059 Belle View Road - Newstead Road to Foxholes Road - 17 and 18 September
- Tuckton Road - works complete
- Foxholes Road (Southbourne) - works complete
- Douglas Road (Southbourne) - works complete
- Grange Road (Southbourne) - 1-2 October
- Seafield Road - Tuckton Road to Belle View Road - works postponed to March 2021
- Verona Avenue - 1 October
- Irving Road - 28 September
- Stamford Road - works postponed to March 2021
- Fenton Road - works postponed to March 2021
- C340 Iford Lane - works complete
- Wick Lane – works complete
- High Howe Lane – Shapland Avenue to narrowing (hand lay slurry sealing) - TBC
Please note that because the work is weather dependant, the above start dates may be subject to change.
Surface Dressing: a cost effective means of preventing water penetration, improving skid resistance and arresting the disintegration of the carriageway, typically using a bituminous layer with one or more layers of small stone chippings laid over the top. This work is generally focused on our unclassified road network but can be used on main roads. The final programme for this can be affected by utility and developer activity.
No surface dressing works are planned for 2020/21.
Carriageway sealing (asphalt preservation): A quick, cost effective method of preventative maintenance by extending the lifespan of the existing road surface by enriching the asphalt and preventing water ingress. The material sets rapidly in all but the very warmest weather conditions and the process is normally completed within hours.
- Thorn Road, including cul-de-sacs
- Loders Close, including cul-de-sacs
- Dorchester Gardens
- Dingley Road
- Curlieu Road
- Brampton Road
- Somerby Road
- The Meadway
- Havelock Way
- Fir Tree Lane
- Clive Road (Highcliffe)
- Langley Road
- Bay Tree Way
- Wingfield Avenue
Special drainage - schemes to help alleviate surface water flooding on the Highway, various sites involving investigation and mitigation measures if appropriate. Please note that funding for such schemes is under extreme pressure and can result in a very long waiting period before implementation. All cases are assessed individually with priority given to those considered to be at greatest risk. We are only responsible for the maintenance of it's highways drainage assets and not responsible for protecting private property.
Small footway schemes – refurbishment or slurry sealing (pot hole prevention) of footway only. A rolling programme of footway slurry works is planned to commence on Tuesday 1 September:
- Thornbury Road - Bournemouth - works complete
- Princess Avenue - Christchurch - works complete
- Queens Avenue - Christchurch - works complete
- Wick Lane - Christchurch - works complete
- Whitehall - Christchurch - works complete
- Jumpers Road - Christchurch - works complete
- Fitzmaurice Road - Christchurch - in progress
- Devon Road - Christchurch - in progress
- Edifred Road - Bournemouth - Sunday 20 September
- Granby Road - Bournemouth - Tuesday 22 September
- New Morton Road - Bournemouth - Monday 28 September
- Strathmore Road - Bournemouth - Tuesday 29 September
- Bloxworth Road (2019 site) - Poole - Thursday 1 October
- Monkton Crescent - Poole - Sunday 4 October
- Gussage Road - Poole - Monday 12 October
- Tollard Close - Poole - Thursday 15 October
The programme of works listed above is subject to constant review depending on out turn costs of individual schemes, changing priorities indicated by routine highway inspections, or particularly adverse deterioration due to factors such as severe winter weather, flooding, etc. All dates are provisional and subject to change.