Apply For A Pavement Cafe Licence Or Pavement Licence

You need a licence to place furniture (such as tables and chairs), sales or display materials on the pavement outside your business

Pavement Café Licence

Apply for a pavement cafe licence if you want to place tables, chairs or other furniture on the pavement outside your cafe or restaurant for customer use, if the pavement is part of the public highway.

Pavement Licence

Apply for a Pavement Licence if you want to place sales or display materials outside your premises on the public highway.

The term 'public highway' includes roads, pavements and verges.

What we do

We consider your licence application, we inspect the area to make sure that no obstruction or nuisance could be caused to others.

We also consider the affect of possible noise disturbance for local residents and other business owners.

It is important to note that you may also require planning permission for the change of the use of the highway to a Pavement Cafe. This applies even if you already operate food premises adjacent to the site.

You need to make separate enquiries with the Local Planning Authority prior to submitting a Pavement Café Licence application.

Who can apply?

Businesses who hold £5 million public liability insurance can apply for a licence.

Please note that some shops own a section of the pavement outside their premises and in these instances a licence is not required if the area does not include any public highway.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a licence, please contact us.


  • New application £200 for one year
  • Renewal application £80 for one year

How to apply

It takes around two months for an application to be approved, which includes a 28-day statutory notice period for public objections to the application.

If you need to modify a licence you will need to complete a new application.

Useful Contacts:

Highways Support Team:
01202  454896

Customer Service Planning Team:
01202 451323