What We Mean

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

Sometimes we use words that you may not know. Here is a useful guide to unusual words that are common in our service and what they mean.

  • All
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Term Explanation
Abuse "Harm caused by anyone who has power over another person, which may include family members, friends, unpaid carers and health or social care workers or organisations.  It can take various forms like physical harm or neglect, financial, verbal, emotional or sexual abuse."
Adaptations "Changes made to your home to make things easier for you.  This includes things like ramps, walk-in showers and stair lifts."
Adult at risk "An adult who needs extra support because of their age, disability, physical or mental ill health and who may be unable to keep safe."
Adult Social Care "Adult Social Care is the department that provides support and services for adults who need extra help to live safely and independently. This includes: Older people, People with a physical disability, learning disability or long-term illness, people with mental health problems and unpaid carers. We help you live in your own home for as long as you are able. We're also sometimes called community care or social services."
Assessed Contribution How much we have calculated that you need to pay towards your care. We work this out by completing a financial assessment with you
Assessment of need "Working out what your needs are. We talk to you about your difficulties and how help can be provided. We decide if your needs qualify for our services. You may include people who regularly provide unpaid care for you when we speak to you, if you choose. This is called a community care assessment"
Advocacy "A person who helps you make decisions, tell us what you think and helps you get the care and support you need. An advocate can be a relative, friend or someone from an advocacy organisation. "
Approved Mental Health Professional or AMHP A person who is trained to decide whether you should be admitted to hospital for your own safety or the safety of others
Best Interests Assessor or BIA A person who is trained to judge whether a person who lacks capacity- and is in hospital or a care home - is there for the right reasons. They can also look at whether it's in that person's best interests to stay there.
Brokerage "Brokerage is the name of the team that gives you information about what services are in your area, so that you can choose to purchase the care and support that best meets your needs."
Capacity "The ability to make your own choices and decisions. To do this you need to be able to understand and remember information and tell people what you have decided. A person may lack capacity because of a mental health problem, dementia or learning disability. "
Care Homes "A home that you live in with other people, with staff providing care and support.  Care homes are registered with the Care Quality Commission.  Care Homes with nursing care also have qualified nurses.  "
Care Package What we call the services that are arranged after your needs are assessed. 
Care and Support Plan A plan made with you after you have had an assessment.  The plan says how your care and support needs will be met and what services you will receive.  
Carer "The people who provide unpaid care and support for you if you are struggling, ill or disabled.  This can be a family member, partner, friend or neighbour."
Client contribution Money you may need to pay towards the cost of social care services you have.  
Commissioning The commissioning team works out what the most common needs are locally and plans services to meet them.
Community Care See Adult Social Care.
Confidentiality Keeping information about you safe and private and not sharing it without your knowledge and agreement (see also Capacity and Safeguarding).
Consent When you give your permission to someone to do something to you or for you (see also capacity).
Continuing health care Care that has been arranged and funded by the NHS outside of hospital and for someone who is ill or disabled.
Day Services   "Opportunities to do things during the day whilst living in your own home.  These may include social activities, education, or the opportunity to learn new skills.  "
Deferred Payment Scheme A national scheme for eligible homeowners who are in residential care. The homeowner can arrange for the Council to pay towards their care fees and they will pay the Council back when they have sold the property.
Direct Payments "Money that is paid to you (or someone acting on your behalf) on a regular basis by your local council so you can arrange your own support, instead of receiving social care services arranged by the council.  "
Disabled Facilities Grant A grant (money) you might be able to get to help with the cost to make the changes needed to your home if you have a disability or long term illness.  
Disability Related Expenditure (DRE) Money that you have to spend due to your illness or disability whilst living in your own home. When we do a financial assessment we will take into account some of these costs to work out what money you have available to pay towards your care.
Eligibility Criteria These are the guidelines we use to decide if your needs qualify for a service.
Enablement "Ways of helping you become more independent. You may be offered an enablement service if you have difficulty to do daily tasks at home because of poor health, disability or a hospital stay. It usually lasts for around six weeks, takes place in your own home, and you won't have to pay.  "
Extra Care Self-contained accommodation for older or disabled people that have communal facilities and on-site Home Care support for people who need social care.
Financial Assessment  How we work out how much you can afford to pay towards the care and support you need.
Home Care Support at home for people who find it hard to manage daily tasks due to poor health or disability.  This is sometimes called domiciliary care.  
Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) "A person who knows about the Mental Capacity Act and people's rights. An IMCA represents someone who does not have capacity to consent to specific decisions, such as whether they should move to a new home or agree to medical treatment. "
Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA) "A service that should be offered to you if you are being treated in hospital or somewhere else under the Mental Health Act. Independent Mental Health Advocates are there to help you understand your legal rights, and to help make your views heard. "
Indicative Personal Budget "A rough idea as to how much money you may need in your personal budget to meet your care and support needs. It is not an exact figure: the final amount is agreed later, based on the actual cost of services agreed in your Care and Support Plan."
Multi-disciplinary A ‘multi-disciplinary’ team is made up of people from different organisations who work together to provide services.
Neglect "When you are not given the care and support you need if you are cannot care for yourself. It may include not being given enough food, or the right kind of food, being left without help to wash or change your clothes, or not being helped to see a doctor when you need to."
Occupational Therapist or OT "A person with training to help people with disabilities and/or mental health needs live independently. An OT can help you learn new skills or regain lost skills, and can help you get equipment and adaptations you need in your home. Occupational Therapists are employed by the NHS and councils."
Older people  People over the age of 65. 
Outcome "Something social care can help you achieve, such as living in your own home or being able to go out and about.  You tell us which outcomes are the most important to you, to improve your wellbeing.  (see also well-being)."
Ordinary Residence "The place where you live, or main home, that tells us which council may fund the care and support you need."
Personal Assistant "This is someone you choose and employ to help you. Their tasks could include cooking, cleaning, help with washing and dressing, and getting out and about. You can pay your personal assistant using a direct payment or personal budget."
Personal Budget A Personal Budget is a set amount of money we give to you to spend on your own care. You can use the budget to pay for services to help you stay independent.
Person Centred  "No decision about me without me.  The person receiving care and support is in the centre of the way care and support is planned and delivered.  (see also capacity, personalisation) "
Personalisation Taking a person's individual choices and circumstances into account when we help people who need social care support. It means we don't provide one option for everyone. (see also person-centred)
Prevention Any action that prevents or delays the need for you to receive care and support by keeping you well and enabling you to remain independent.  
Primary care "The first point of contact in the health service, usually your GP,  pharmacist, dentist or NHS walk in centre."
Reablement "A short term service that helps you for a short time after an illness, accident or disability in your own home. The service usually lasts for up to six weeks and can include personal care, help with activities of daily living and practical tasks around the home."
Referral "To send or direct to a person or place for treatment, aid, information or decision.  It can come from the person that needs the help or a relative, friend or GP."
Rehabilitation "The support that helps you regain skills after an illness, injury or hospital stay."
Residential care A live-in care home for people who need 24-hour care from trained staff.
Respite Care "Short term care for someone who has care needs, which gives unpaid carers a break."
Review When you and the people in your life look at whether the services you are getting are meeting your needs and helping you achieve your chosen outcomes.
Risk assessment "An assessment of your health, safety, wellbeing and ability to do the things you want to do. "
Safeguarding "Making sure vulnerable adults are not abused, neglected or exploited.  If you believe that someone is being abused contact Adult Social Care or the Police."
Self funding When you pay for your own care and support services and do not receive financial help from the council.
Shared Lives "People who live locally that support adults with a learning disability. They share activities and experiences in their home and in the community, for example in a library or sports centre."
Signposting Giving information about services and help
Supported accommodation "Supported accommodation is for people who qualify for our services and need support to live independently. Support may include help to shop for and cook meals, assistance with budgeting or using local facilities."
Telecare "Telecare is phone based technology that works with, for example a personal alarm, to keep you safe and independent in your own home, or lets your family or carer know you need help.  "
Third Party Top Up Fee "A top up that someone, other than you or the Council, will pay if you choose to move to a residential care home that is more expensive than the Council’s standard rates. This third party could be a family member, friend or a sometimes a charity."
Transition The process by which young people with health or social care needs move from children's services to adult services.
Universal services "Universal Services are services that are available to everyone in the local area, such as transport, leisure, health and education."
Unmet Need When you are not receiving the care or support you need or not receiving as much as you need.
Wellbeing "How you feel about your life.  This is affected by what is important to you which can include your physical or mental health, relationships, money, where and how you live and opportunities that you have to take part in the activities that interest you."