Disabled Facilities Grant

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

Funding changes that improve your independent living.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are available to help disabled occupants with the cost of adapting their homes to meet their care needs. A DFG can be between £1,000 and £30,000. Soft furnishings are not included but minimal decoration is included.

If you have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist as having a disability that requires adaptations which are covered by the DFG, you can apply for a grant if you:

  • Are a tenant in a privately-rented or housing association home by yourself or with your family
  • Are a homeowner by yourself or with your family
  • Are the parent or guardian of a disabled child
  • Are the landlord of a disabled tenant.

Apart from an application for a child, all DFG applications are means tested. This means you will be financially assessed and may receive a grant to cover the full cost, up to the value of £30,000, or part of the cost of the required adaptation.

You will be exempt from a financial assessment and get a full grant if you, or your partner, receive

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution-based ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution-based JSA)
  • Guarantee Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit and or Child Tax Credit. Provided that the annual income for the purposes of assessing entitlement to the tax credit is less than £15,050
  • Universal Credit. This includes any Universal Credit which is being introduced from 2013 onwards as a replacement for working age benefits and tax credits.

If you do not receive one of these Benefits, you may still qualify for a DFG that covers the full cost of the works. You may, however, have to pay towards the cost of your required adaptation.

To apply

Get in touch with the Adult Social Care Contact Centre and ask for an Occupational Therapist visit. They will assess your needs. If they recommend adapting your home, our Grants Officer can help you with the application process.  

No work on adaptations should begin until the DFG has been approved. This is because, if the grant is not approved for any reason, you will be liable for the costs.

If you are a council tenant

Housing Landlord Services meet the cost and carry out the work.

If you own your home

If you own the home and the works cost over £5,000 we apply a local land charge against the property. This is for 10 years, up to a maximum of £10,000.

If you move within this time or your property passes to family, the council may remove the charge or you may have to repay the local land charge against the property. This will be assessed on the individual circumstances of the applicant and their partner.

If your home cannot be adapted

You might not be able to adapt your home. If you qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant and need to move to a more suitable property, you may receive funding to cover eligible moving costs. One of the following will need to apply:

  • The adaptations are not practicable.
  • Major work is needed and it would be better and more cost effective for you to move.
  • You are a tenant and the landlord refuses to agree to the work.

If you are a tenant, costs for furniture removal may be covered. 

As an owner eligible moving costs include removals, solicitors and estate agent fees.  We assess your finances to work out if you have to pay towards the cost.

An Occupational Therapist and Grants Technical Officer must confirm the new home can be adapted before you buy or rent a new property.