Equipment To Help At Home

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

Help with everyday tasks you find difficult.

You may have trouble getting around your house because of physical disabilities caused by a long term illness or old age.

With the right support and equipment, you can become more active and independent at home.

We have equipment designed to help you with tasks you find difficult, such as using stairs, washing, dressing and using the toilet or getting in or out of a chair.

Finding out your needs

When you first get in touch, we may assess your needs over the telephone and give you advice and information. If you qualify, we visit you at home to talk about how we can help. You can involve a family member or friend, if you wish.

What we do

Our occupational therapy staff assess the difficulties you have and suggest safer and more effective ways of doing everyday tasks for you and the people who help you.

We advise on equipment to buy to help you at home with tasks such as preparing a meal or personal care. We can also loan essential equipment to help with day to day living such as:

  • Special cutlery
  • Raised toilet seat
  • Aids for cooking
  • Chair or bed raisers
  • Bathing or showering aids
  • Specialist chairs or beds

We also advise on telecare, such as personal alarms, sensors and monitoring devices.

You can apply for major changes if you are an owner-occupier or live in housing association or privately rented accommodation. We can also recommend minor changes to Housing Landlord if you are a Council tenant.

Are there charges?

You don't have to pay for the assessment of your needs or advice and information to help you with day to day living.

If your needs qualify, you don't have to pay for essential equipment or minor adaptations to your home.

If the changes to your home cost more than £1,000, you can apply for a means-tested grant to help pay for them, you may have to pay towards the cost.

If you live in a council-owned property, grants and means-testing aren’t needed.