Looking After Your Property While You're in Care
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
See further information about changes to services.
If you don't have anyone else to help you, we may be able to look after your property.
If you don't have anyone else to take care of your home if you go into hospital or a care home we may be able to help you. This is called Protection of Property.
How is the property protected?
We ask for your permission to enter the property to:
- Arrange for your pets to be looked after
- Take small valuable items such as cash, cheque or benefit books for safe keeping
- Make an inventory of the large items, such as furniture
- Make sure your home is left secure
- Arrange for any bills to be paid, usually from your own funds
We also let the police know the property is not occupied.
How long is the property protected?
We look after your property until you return home or until other arrangements are made. When you return, we’ll hand back your possession and property.
If you are unable to return home, you, or someone you choose to act for you need to make arrangements for the future of your property.