Paying for Residential Care

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

What you need to know about paying for residential care.

If you have been assessed as eligible for residential care and are in agreement to this arrangement you will have to contribute towards the cost of your care.

We may be able to help with your care costs. The amount that you have to contribute depends on your income and capital.

How will the Home’s fees be met?

Bournemouth Borough Council has contracts with a variety of residential homes that can meet individual needs.

The agreed rates comprise of your contribution plus the council's contribution.

Example:  Mr S has been assessed as requiring residential care. The home that can provide for all his needs charges £488 per week. Mr S can only afford to pay £148 per week from his income towards these fees.  We will pay £340 per week towards his care i.e. £488 - £148.

How much will I have to pay?

We may be able to pay part of your care costs if you do not have sufficient income to pay the full costs. If your capital is less than £23,250 and we agree that staying in a care home is the best way of meeting your needs, we may be able to help.

We can help you apply for help with your care home fees by completing a financial assessment with you. This will look at your income and capital. A calculation will then be made as to how much you have to pay and how much the Council will pay towards the fees. 

By income we mean any benefits that your are entitled to receive, or any income from other sources. This could be any private or occupational pensions or annuity payments.

Capital includes all monies invested in bank,building society accounts, ISAs, Shares or any other financial products. In some circumstances property may be taken into account.

How do I pay my contribution?

In most cases you will be required to pay the residential home direct. You will need to make arrangements with the home as to how you may and the frequency of payments, for example, monthly by Direct Debit. In exceptional cases you may be required to pay your contribution direct to the Council. If this is the case then we will invoice you every 4 weeks for your contribution.

What if I want to go into a home where the fees are above the standard fees?

If you choose a home where the fees are above these rates and there are residential vacancies that could meet your needs available within our rates a third party top up for preferred accommodation may be appropriate.

Who else may help towards the home fees?

If you have been assessed as needing fully funded NHS care known as Continuing Health Care, the NHS is responsible for all your care home fees.

If you did not qualify for fully funded CHC care but have been assessed as needing nursing care from a registered nurse, the CCG should make a contribution towards your care home fees. This is called funded nursing care. The Home will complete the application for this.

Your allocated worker will be able to advise you on whether you may qualify for this financial assistance.

What happens to my benefits when I go into Residential care?

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will continue paying you your benefits. Some benefits that you receive whilst living in your own home may change when you go into residential care. It is important that you notify the DWP when you move into residential care.

Will I be left with any money for myself?

The Department of Health guidance states you must be left with a Personal Expense Allowance. This amount changes annually but for 2015/16 is £24.90 per week. This amount is to pay for things such as your toiletries, papers, magazines or hairdressing.

What happens if I go into hospital or stay with family?

Bournemouth Borough Council and you will need to continue paying contributions. This is in order to ensure your room is available to you on your return to the residential home.

Following your stay in hospital your care needs will be reassessed. This is to ensure that your residential home can continue to meet your needs.

It may be necessary to give notice to the home that you will not be returning there. The home will still need to be paid until the notice period ends. You will be assisted with this notice period and finding alternative residential or nursing care by your allocated worker.