Paying for Your Own Care in a Care Home

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

Information about care home fees and how to pay.

If you have £23,250 or more in property and savings, you have to pay the full cost of care home fees for accommodation, board and personal care.  You may be able to get help from us through a Deferred Payment.

How much are Care Home fees?

This table gives you an idea of how long your money will cover the care home fees. It shows different levels of fees and assumes you will have an income of £250 each week from pensions and benefits.

Care home fees comparison over 1 year, 3 years and 5 years


Cost of care after…

 Cost per week

Income per week

 1 year

3 years 

5 years 





















Help with paying

If you have less than £23,250 in savings and property, ask for a financial assessment. We might be able to help you pay for care.

Benefits you can claim

If you’re struggling with money, you may be able to apply for benefits. You can find information on benefits on The Department for Work and Pensions website.

If you are aged under 65, you may be entitled to claim Personal Independence Payment. You may also be able to claim Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

If you are aged 65 or over, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance and Pension Credit.

The Minimum Pension Age is constantly changing until the age at which both men and women can claim the State Retirement Pension is the same.  You can find out more about this from the Department for Work and Pensions