Third Party Top Ups For Preferred Accommodation

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find the latest information and advice about our services for vulnerable adults in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

See further information about changes to services.

If your choice of care home is more expensive than you can afford another person can contribute towards the costs.

If you are eligible for funding and you prefer a more expensive care home (preferred accommodation) which charges fees that are above your Personal Budget this can be arranged, provided that another person is willing to meet the difference between the amount specified in your personal budget and your preferred care home’s fees. This is known as a top-up or third-party payment.

Who can pay top-ups?

Generally, it must be a third party which pays the top-up fees. This could be a friend, a relative or a charitable organisation.   

You cannot pay your own top-up fee unless:


Anyone who agrees to pay a third party top up has to satisfy us that they can afford to it. They have to sign a declaration to confirm they can pay the top up and that they understand the commitment involved.

We would always recommend that you obtain independent financial advice if you are considering paying a third party top up.

How is this third party payment made?

The payment is made directly to the residential home who agree directly with the third party as to when and how the payments will be made.

What happens if the arrangement cannot be maintained?

It is important to understand that if the third party is unable to continue to pay i.e. the third party top up can no longer be paid, then the client may have to move to another care home if the current home will not negotiate a reduced fee.

It is important that the third party contact us immediately should they be unable to continue with the payments to discuss what alternative arrangements can be made.

What help is available if the resident has to move?

The allocated worker will assess or review the client’s needs.  This will involve obtaining information and advice from other professionals to find an alternative care home that can meet the resident’s needs at our standard rates. All family members and carers will be involved in this process.