Housing Benefit

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

If you are in temporary accommodation, supported accommodation or have reached State Pension age and are on a low income, housing benefit can help you pay your rent. If you are currently claiming, you can view your account online. If you are not in one of these groups, you will need to claim help with your rent from Universal Credit.

Benefits Calculator

The Benefit Calculator gives an idea of what Housing Benefit or Council Tax support you could be entitled to.

Claim Online

You can make a claim online or use the Benefit Calculator to see how much you're entitled to.

How Can I Provide The Evidence You Need?

We can accept electronic evidence such as digital photos, scanned images and email documents to support new claims and changes in circumstances.

See Your Account Online

See your account online OpenPortal. You can see what payments you've made and how much you need to pay.

Local Housing Allowance

You can receive a Local Housing Allowance if you live in private rented accommodation and claim Housing Benefit.

When is My Payment Due?

Housing Benefit is normally paid 4 weekly in arrears directly into your bank account. Please see below for the payment dates.

Discretionary Payments

You can receive a discretionary payment if your housing benefit or council tax support doesn't cover your rent or council tax. Apply here.


There are some circumstances where Students in Bournemouth can claim Housing Benefit if they meet certain criteria.

Claiming Benefits If You're From Abroad

If you have been abroad and want to claim benefits there are procedures in place to assess your claim.

Benefits Overpayment?

If your claim changes and you receive too much benefit, you will have to pay an overpayment of benefit.

Advice for Landlords About Housing Benefit

Your tenants may choose to have their housing benefit paid to you if they aren't under the Local Housing Allowance scheme.

Useful Benefit and Support Forms

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support forms available online. If you can't claim online please contact us to discuss your options.

Other Organisations and Help

You can contact the Citizens' Advice Bureau and other government organisations for help about benefits and council tax.