Changes To Your Circumstances And Appeals

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are able to offer some extra assistance to those who most need it.

See further information about changes to services.

Tell us straight away if your circumstances
change or you might end up in a mess later in the year

If your income has gone down you could be losing out on extra benefit.  If your circumstances change or your income goes up, not only is it an offence not to tell us, you could end up in a financial mess if we give you too much money and you have to pay it back.  So please tell us straight away. 

I've been sent a letter to review my circumstances.

To ensure that we hold the correct information we will periodically ask you to review your circumstances. If you have received a letter or email with a pass code you can complete it online.

I’ve started or changed my job

We need to know the start date of your employment, who you’re working for, how many hours you’re working and how much you will be paid. You also need to tell us your employer’s details.

If you have a letter from your new employers confirming your salary, you can send it to us, until you get your first wage slip.

I’ve lost my job

If you’re about to be, or have become unemployed you may be entitled to more benefit. You should also contact the Jobcentre

Someone’s moved in

Tell us if someone has moved in to your home. The fact that someone else lives in your property may affect your benefit.

I’ve moved, but I’m still in Bournemouth

If you’ve moved address tell us straight away so we don’t continue paying benefit for your old address. Use our online change of address form. 

I'm temporarily absent from my property

There may be times when you need to be away from your property either within the UK or outside of the UK, for example for health reasons, because of a crisis, to visit family and friends or because of a holiday, to name but a few.  It is important that you tell us straight away if you are going to be away from your property.  If we try to contact you and we are not aware of your absence your Benefit may be cancelled.

Below are a few examples of when you may still qualify for Benefit whilst being absent from your property:

  • If you are absent from your property for less than 13 weeks (so long as the absence is within Great Britain)
  • If you are absent from your property outside of Great Britain for a maximum of 4 weeks
  • If the absence is for approved medical care (evidence may be requested) up to 52 weeks if this is within Great Britain or up to 26 weeks outside of Great Britain

Remember, tell us straight away if you're going away. 

Other changes not covered above

If you've had a change in your circumstances and it's not listed above tell us anyway.  You can use the change of circumstances form which also gives you suggestions of the things you need to tell us about.