Making A Claim For Universal Credit
How to make a claim for Universal Credit and what you will need before you start.
Universal Credit is a benefit that is managed and claimed online.
If you’re worried about claiming online watch the Gov.uk video to see how easy it is.
You will need the following information ready to start your Universal Credit claim
- You (and your partner’s) National Insurance Number
- Your postcode (for the address you want to claim for)
- Email address (this must be yours and must be a valid email address) Help creating an email
- Your phone number (preferably a mobile phone number)
- Your landlord’s address
- How much rent you are paying
- Your bank account details
- Details of any savings you have
- If working – your expected monthly wage (including self-employment)
- Details of any other income you receive
Once you start your application online, you can save your application and return to it, but you will need the above information to complete the process. Please remember your claim does not start until you submit the completed claim. So, do not delay claiming or you may lose money you are entitled to.
Remember if you are liable for Council Tax you must apply for Council Tax Support from your Local Authority