Should I Claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit For My Housing Costs?

More information on claiming help with your rent.  

Housing Benefit is no longer be available for most people in the Bournemouth area.  

 If you need help with your Housing costs and do not fall into one of the following categories, you need to make a claim for Universal Credit

  • If you are a resident in supported exempt accommodation you claim Universal Credit for your living costs but must make an additional claim for Housing Benefit from Bournemouth Borough Council. 
  • If you have reached State Pension Credit age
  • You are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age and are receiving Pension Credit
  • If you are a single person or part of a couple who has an award of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment & Support Allowance (Income Related) or Housing Benefit that includes a severe disability premium 

Remember if you are liable for Council Tax you must apply for Council Tax Support from your Local Authority