Documents You Need To Bring To Serve Notice

Please bring the following documents to your appointment

Serving your notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership

Please read the following information carefully.

Serving notice of intention to marry/civil partnership must be given in person, in the Registration District where you have lived for at least 8 full days prior to your notice appointment.

If you and your partner are living in different districts, then you must each attend the Register Office for the district where you live.

You can serve your notice up to 12 months in advance but no later than 28 clear days before your ceremony. Once your Certificate of Marriage has been issued, it will remain valid for 12 months from the date on which you served your notice.

There is statutory fee payable of £35 per person for serving notice which can be paid by cash/ credit or debit card

Documents you will need to take to your appointment

Proof of nationality

Valid passport/full birth certificate (British citizens only) EEA identity card (If born after 01/01/1983 and not in possession of a valid passport, you will be required to produce your full birth certificate in addition to your parents’ birth certificates and marriage certificate, if applicable, as proof of nationality).

Proof of address

UK driving licence, a council tax bill issued within the last 12 months, a utility bill issued within the last 3 months or a bank statement issued within one month.

Proof of condition

If you have been through any form of marriage or civil partnership in this or any other country you must provide evidence of how that relationship ended, i.e. decree absolute or spouse’s death certificate.

If your divorce document was not issued in the United Kingdom, then it will be necessary to provide a full translation with the original document. The translation needs to be provided by a third party who must sign, date, record their address and state that it is a full and correct translation of the document. Some foreign documents will need to be sent to the General Register Office for verification, this can take up to 6 weeks. A statutory fee of up to £75 will apply.

Proof of name change if applicable

Any name change documents i.e. deed poll

All documents must be originals or certified copies, photocopies will not be accepted

You will be able to obtain certified copies of birth/death certificates by ordering from the local Register Office of where the birth took place.

For certified copies of a Decree Absolute, contact the court where the document was issued.