Converting A Civil Partnership Into A Marriage
Provisions within the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 allow civil partners to convert their relationship into marriage
You can convert your civil partnership to a marriage in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area even if you didn't have your civil partnership ceremony here.
How the conversion process works
- You and your partner attend in person, by appointment.
- You and your partner provide evidence of your identity, current address and your civil partnership certificate.
- The conversion takes place when you and your partner sign a declaration to confirm that you have not dissolved your civil partnership and that you both wish to convert your civil partnership to a marriage.
- The declaration is signed in the statutory register office. You don't have to 'give notice' and there is no requirement to have a ceremony attached to the conversion, but we are happy to provide one tailored to you.
- The conversion will be registered and a certificate of conversion issued.
You're not required to go through a marriage ceremony. However, you may of course choose to have a celebration ceremony after the conversion, in a location of your choice.
The statutory fee for a conversion is £45.00 plus £11.00 per certificate required.
Payment can be made by cash or debit/credit card.
Celebratory ceremonies with Bournemouth Registration Service
If you'd like to mark your conversion with a celebratory ceremony, we are taking bookings now.
The ceremonies start from just:
These ceremony rooms are all in our historic Town Hall.
For all other venues, the fee is £541 Monday-Saturday or £591 Sundays & Bank Holidays.