Moving Between Schools

Your child/ young person's Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) will need updating whenever they change schools

We need to update their EHCP or Statement of Special Educational Needs before your child/ young person moves school, or moves within their existing school (this is also known as phase transfer), so that we can plan the right amount of support before they settle in.  

Any changes to an EHCP must be made by 15 February the year they transfer.

Main transfer stages for children

  • Nursery to school
  • Infant school to junior school
  • First school to middle school
  • Primary school to secondary school
  • Middle school to upper school

Placements for young people aged 16 and over

The EHCP must be updated for young people who are moving from school to college or an apprenticeship by 31 March the year they transfer.

  • If you're moving between colleges or training placements we need to do your review by 31 March if you’re going to move places the same academic year.
  • If you’re going to move outside of the academic year, we need to have any changes to their EHCP in place before they transfer.
  • If your plans for taking up a college place or apprenticeship change after 31 March let us know as soon as possible so that we can make new arrangements.
  • If you’re moving from secondary school to a college or apprenticeship in September 2018 all changes to your plan have to be done by 31 March 2018.
  • If you’re not moving until March 2019 we need to make changes three months beforehand.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name