Training for Work

You have several options when you leave school, you can either go on to further education or start work as a trainee or an apprentice

Training means you go to work and start learning the job as a trainee. There are different types of training, some will pay you minimum wage (apprenticeships) and some don’t pay you at all (traineeships and internships).

Because of employment Equality and Diversity laws it's illegal for an employer not to take someone on because they have a special educational need or disability.

Training / Apprenticeship types

If you're under 18 you can't just go straight to work, you have to do some form of education too.

  • Day release – you go to college or a training provider for one day a week and work the other 4 days
  • Block release – you have a 6-8 week block of training and then work after the block
  • In-house – your trainer comes to your workplace

You might have to sign a contract as a trainee to say that you’ll stay with the company for a certain amount of time once your training has finished, if you leave before then you may have to pay back some of the cost of your training.

Once you've successfully finished your training is finished you can begin doing the job you’ve been learning.  This might be with with the company that trained you, they made an investment by training you so it makes sense for them to benefit from your skills!

Tricuro (Boscombe Connect) is here to support you to be as independent as possible. They run 2 services that have a distinct focus on supporting employment, COAST and Community Employment Service (CES). The support is targeted towards individuals with ill health and/or disabilities looking to gain paid or voluntary work. Both services have eligibility requirements. Find out more about Boscombe Connect

If you’re at school or college, speak to the Careers Adviser. If you’re over 18 the National Careers Service can help.