Direct Payment

We’ll pay your personal budget straight to you so you can arrange the services you need

Direct payments can be made to parents of (or the adult who is legally responsible for) children up to the age of 25 with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), or direct to the young person if they're aged 16-25. 

You can only use direct payments to pay for services that we provide. If you’d prefer to use services provided by someone else then your personal budget will need to be managed through either an organised arrangement or a third party arrangement.

We have to assess your child’s or young person’s SEND before we agree to make direct payments, in some cases there may be a better way to pay for services. Well explain your options when we do the assessment.

If your direct payment is going to be used to pay for services your child will get at school then we must have the school’s agreement first.

How we decide the amount to pay

The amount you receive is based on how much it should cost to pay for the right level of services that are named in your Education, Health & Care plan (EHCP). 

This is different for everyone, so we can’t give you an exact amount. Your personal budget should be enough to pay for what you need, if you find that it isn’t we can review it.