Help Getting To & From School

You may be entitled to help with school travel if your child has special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

It is the responsibility of parents/carers to ensure that their children attend an educational setting and this includes the necessary travel arrangements to and from the setting.

However, there may be help with school travel if your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SSEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The majority of children do not need and do not receive travel assistance.

There is no automatic entitlement to travel assistance for a child or young person with a SSEN or an EHCP.  Although, the Borough has a duty and powers to make particular travel arrangements for a child with SEND to make it easier for them to attend an appropriate education provision, if they meet the criteria as set out in our SEND Transport Policy.

Apply for help

If you are a parent or carer of a child who requires travel assistance from home to school you can apply for help. There is also a separate form which can be completed for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN).