Appeals & Complaints Guidelines

How to complain about something you’re unhappy with and how to appeal against a decision you don’t agree with

If you’re not happy with the service you’ve had from someone on our Local Offer SEND directory you can tell us but you should complain to them too so that they can fix their mistake. 

You can use our Feedback form to make general comments about the Local Offer information we are showing on our web pages.

If you want to make a complaint about a service we provide,  you’ll need to follow our complaints guidelines.

If your complaint is about a school you should speak to the headteacher first, if you aren't satisfied by their response you'll need to ask for a copy of their complaints procedure to work out who to contact next to progress to the next level. 

Appealing against a decision

If your request for an Education, Health & Care plan (EHCP) has been refused you can appeal against the decision, once you've liaised with the mediation service. For advice about making an appeal speak to SENDIASS or the Parent Carer Foundation.

If you disagree with a decision we’ve made about your child’s special educational needs support you'll need to go through mediation and this may lead to a tribunal.

Appealing against a decision made by another SEND service will need you to follow their own appeals process. You should get in touch with the SEND service to find out more, or contact  SENDIASS.