Disagreeing with a Decision about Special Educational Needs (SEN)

If you’re not happy with the way your child’s needs are being met, you can speak to different people to find a solution

The first people you should talk to about your disagreement are the people who provide your child's, or young persons, Special Educational Needs (SEN) help. This could be their nursery, school or college. Tell them what the problem is and find a solution together.

If this doesn’t work and you’d like to get independent advice about your disagreement Bournemouth's SENDIASS (previously Bournemouth's Parent Partnership) and the Parent Carer Foundation can help.

If you’re going through the process of getting an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP) then an Independent Supporter might be right for you.

If you disagree with a decision we’ve made

A mediation service can help resolve the disagreement. If you’d like to use a mediator you must request one within two months of the date on the decision letter we sent you.

A trained and independent mediator will get involved if we’ve decided:

  • Not to do an EHC assessment, or reassessment
  • To name a school on your child’s EHCP that you’re not happy with
  • To keep the EHCP the same after a review
  • The EHCP isn’t needed anymore

Mediation can also help if you disagree with our assessment of your child’s SEN. The services we’ve recommended for them or the health and social care parts of the plan.