Going To A Special School

If your child’s got an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) it might be better for them to go to a special school

Our policy is that children with special educational needs (SEN) should go to their local school wherever possible. Sometimes it’s better for them to go to a special school, or a mainstream school that’s got extra resources for students with SEN.

Only children with an EHCP or Statement of Special Educational Needs (SSEN) can go to special schools. The SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) Panel will recommend the most appropriate school for your child.

How we make the decision

The SEND Panel will consider all the information about your child’s needs before deciding whether a special school is right for them.

If they feel a special school is the right choice, our SEN team takes it from here and will find a suitable school with a vacancy.

If your child's got an EHCP but is in mainstream school

If you want your child to change from their current school to a special school speak to us about it at the annual review of their EHCP.

If we decide this is the right choice for your child we’ll present your request at the SEND Panel.