Having a Statutory Assessment

Find out what happens when we do a statutory assessment for your child and why we may feel a non-statutory assessment is suitable

If your child is getting SEN support but still finds it difficult to learn then you or their school can ask us to do a detailed assessment of their needs. This is called a statutory assessment (or an Education, Health and Care needs assessment).

We have to respond to a request for an Education, Health & Care needs assessment within six weeks of getting it.

What happens next

We’ll meet with you and talk about what special help your child needs and then we’ll write a plan for their education. This is called an Education, Health & Care plan (EHCP) and describes what help they should get and which school they should go to.

Non-Statutory Assessments

If we feel that your child doesn’t need an EHCP and that they would benefit from staying at their current school we’ll write a non-statutory plan (NSP).

If you disagree, you can appeal through the SEND Tribunal. You have to register your appeal within two months of getting our decision.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name