Mediation is when someone who isn’t involved with you or the person your disagreement is with helps to sort out a dispute

In most cases when someone wants to appeal against a decision we’ve made regarding an Education, Health & Care Plan they must use a mediator to help resolve their dispute.

A mediator is a completely independent person, this means they will not be involved with you or us and will be able to advise you and present your appeal fairly to the SEND Tribunal.

If you don’t want to use a mediator you must get a mediation certificate before you can appeal. The certificate will confirm that you know mediation is available but have chosen not to use it.

Check out the mediation timeframe to see what happens and when if you use mediation.