SEN Support for your Child

Lots of children have special educational needs (SEN) and there are many different ways to help them learn

The first thing to do is work out why your child is having difficulty learning. It could just be that someone in their class is causing a distraction. Speak to their teacher or head of year first to find out the cause.

If your child is having difficulty learning because they need extra help or need to be taught a different way, you can get SEN Support for them from their school.

This could mean they have extra support in class, an intervention programme (this could be one on one help or working in a small group) or some special equipment. They might not need it for very long, or they might need it for the rest of the time they’re at school.

Who else can help?

Their school will have someone called a SENCO – special educational needs coordinator, or an INCO (inclusion coordinator). They’ll work with you and your child to find the way that works best.

If you want to get some independent advice you can speak to our Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). They can give you advice and explain what options are available.

What happens next?

First, we’ll wait and see if the extra help (SEN support) is working for your child, this is called a graduated response.

If your child still finds it hard to learn after this time, you or the school can ask us to do an Education, Health and Care needs assessment. We’ll meet with you to talk about your child’s needs and the best way to help them. This could mean we provide more help for them at their school, or that they go to a special school.

Whatever happens, there is lots of support and help available for you and your child, so you won’t feel as if you’re going through this alone.