Child Performance Licence

Children performing in broadcast and non-broadcast work

Children who perform on stage, in TV, film, model or take part in paid or professional sport must have a performance licence if:

  • They'll be paid
  • They need time off school, or have performed for more than 4 days in the last 6 months

A performance licence is a legal document issued by the child's local council.  It explains where the child will be performing, what they will be doing, who will look after them (chaperone) and if the need time off from school.

Applying for a licence

The person responsible for the production should apply for the Licence at least 10 working days before the performance is due to take place and will be the licence holder. The licence holder is responsible for observing the conditions on the licence.  All children who need a performance licence must be looked after by a licenced chaperone or their parent/carer.

Supporting documents

If you are applying for a performance licence you will need:

  • Two identical  photos of the child taken in the last 6 months
  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • A copy of the contract, draft contract or other documents with information about the performance.

You can apply via e-mail or by post.

Unlicensed performances

If you’re putting on a performance in Bournemouth with children and think you don’t need a license, you should complete our unlicensed performance request form.

You should send this to our Child Employment & Performance Officer.