Supporting your Child in School

Helping Children and Young People

Our Educational Psychologists (EPs) support inclusion in education for children and young people with Special Educational Needs aged 0- 25.

EPs use their understanding of how people learn, behave, think and feel to encourage positive change. This helps children and young people to reach their potential.

All of our psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC).

Here are some examples of what we help with:

  • Early years development
  • Looked after children and attachment
  • Autism
  • Emotional wellbeing
  • Mental health
  • Literacy and learning

Who we work with

We work with children and young people aged 0 - 25 with:

  • General and specific learning difficulties
  • Sensory and/or physical needs
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • Communication and interaction needs

We work with children and young people and the adults who work with them, usually within the educational setting (pre-schools, schools, further educational setting). Each school has an EP who works with them.

Work funded by us

We can deliver specific work explained in the Service-level Agreement (SLA).

We also

  • Offer Safeguarding visits for pupils in residential settings who don’t have a social worker.
  • Support the Virtual Team for looked after children.
  • Offer services to children with SEN in the early years through our Early Years senior specialist.
  • Offer services to children who are home-educated.
  • Respond to incidents where support is needed following an upsetting event, for example the death of a child or staff member

How the service works with parents

We encourage parents and carers to attend our meetings in schools and other sittings to share their experiences with their child. We’ll send you a copy of our formal written records.

How long the support lasts

This depends on each case. If your child progresses after our involvements, you may not need our services anymore. 

Our psychologists may attend annual reviews if there are still difficulties, or if your child is going through big life changes.

Getting the service

If you’re a parent or carer who wants a psychologist to work with your child, contact the school’s special educational needs coordinator (SENco). They’ll complete a planning form, which you’ll need to sign. Other council services can request our service for certain types of involvement.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 456222


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name