Support For Your Child In School

Our Educational Psychologists (EPs) help children and young people aged 0-25 who have Special Educational Needs if they need extra support in school  

Educational Psychologists (EPs) use their understanding of how people learn, behave, think and feel to encourage positive change. This helps children and young people to reach their potential.

All of our psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC).

Here are some examples of how our EPs can help:

  • Early years development
  • Looked after children and attachment
  • Autism
  • Emotional wellbeing
  • Mental health
  • Literacy and learning

Who we work with

We work with children and young people aged 0 - 25 who have:

  • General and specific learning difficulties
  • Sensory and/or physical needs
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • Communication and interaction needs

We also work with the adults who support these children and young people, usually within an educational setting (eg pre-schools, schools, further educational). Each school has an EP who works with them.

Work funded by us

We deliver specific work explained in the Service-level Agreement (SLA).

We also offer services to:

  • children with SEN in the early years, through our Early Years senior specialist.
  • children who are home-educated.


  • Safeguarding visits for pupils in residential settings who don’t have a social worker.
  • Support the Virtual Team for looked after children.
  • Respond to incidents where support is needed following an upsetting event, for example the death of a child or staff member.

How the service works with parents

We encourage parents and carers to attend our meetings in schools and elsewhere, so they can talk about their experiences with their child. We’ll send you a copy of our formal written records of these meetings.

How long the support lasts

This depends on each case. If your child progresses, you may not need our services anymore. 

Our psychologists may attend annual reviews if there are still difficulties, or if your child is going through big life changes.

If you want a psychologist to work with your child

Contact your school’s special educational needs coordinator (SENco). They will complete a planning form, which you’ll need to sign.

Other council services may also be able to request our help on your behalf.