Help for Disabled Children
Services and support for Disabled Children in Bournemouth
We keep a record of all disabled children in the area. Together with Poole and Dorset, we use Xchange, an interactive news and information network for disabled children and their families.
For more detailed information about services for children who are disabled use the Local Offer website,this is the one-stop information page for all services for disabled children across education and social care.
What is Xchange
Joining Xchange is voluntary and you can ask for your child’s name to be removed at any time. You don’t have to join to get help or use our social care or health services.
The Xchange has many benefits, but in particular it:
- Gives information about events, services or activities across Dorset or nationally.
- Tells us the needs of disabled children and their families across Dorset.
- Helps us plan and develop services to cover your needs.
Joining is free for any child with a disability. A disability is a significant and long-term impairment and can include such things as:
- Difficulties with seeing, hearing or communicating
- A learning disability
- Long term complex health conditions
- A physical difficulty, for example, walking or moving
Any child who is disabled can join, but they also need to:
- Live in Dorset
- Be under 19 years of age
If you have any questions, get in touch with Children’s First. They’ll help you with any issue and put you in touch with people who can help you further.