Local contacts and help for people suffering from domestic abuse
What is domestic abuse?
Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse. Experienced by those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality,
This can include, but is not limited to:
- Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
- Psychological and/or emotional abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Online or digital abuse
Where to get help
Local support organisations in Bournemouth:
- Bournemouth Community Support: 01202 547755
- Bournemouth Women’s Refuge: 01202 547755
- Citizen Advice Bureau: 01202 290967
- Sexual Trauma and Recovery Service: 01202 308855
- Victim Support: 0808 168 9111 (National support)
- Victim Support: 0300 303 0163 (Dorset support)
There are also national organisations which can help:
- National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV)
0800 970 2070
- The National 24 Domestic Violence Helpline
0808 2000 247
- Mankind Initiative For Men experiencing/have experienced domestic abuse 01823 334244
- Survivors UK For Men who have been raped or sexually abused 0845 122 1201
Forced marriage and honour based abuse or crimes
- Forced Marriage Unit For anyone who believes they are going to be forced to marry as well as anyone who wants to leave a forced marriage 020 7008 0151
- Karma Nirvana For those experiencing so called 'honour' based abuse and/or forced marriage 0800 5999 247
- Southall Black Sisters Advises those experiencing domestic abuse, honour crimes and forced marriage 020 8571 0800
- Childline has a useful website and helpline for children and young people 0800 1111
- Get Connected is a confidential helpline for people under 25 0808 808 4994
- The Hideout Website has advice tailored to children and young people who think they are in an abusive relationship
- Respect Not Fear is a website for young people with information on healthy relationships and where to get help if yu are in an abusive relationship
- This is Abuse Website has advice on all aspects of teenage relationship abuse
People who identify as abusers and want to stop
- Respect For people who identify they are abusive to their partners and wish to stop 0808 802 4040
Support in general
Easy Read Documents:
Guide for adults
Guide to help family or friends
What are we doing?
We have a Domestic and Sexual Violence Coordinator within Community Safety
We have a partnership across Dorset to tackle domestic abuse
We have a plan for the next three years which sets out the four priority areas of:
Prevent domestic abuse (including stalking & harassment, HBA and FM). Educate and challenge attitudes.
Safeguard victims, affected children and vulnerable adults.
Enforcement through the criminal justice and civil system and prevent re-offending.
Maintain a performance framework that informs a prioritised approach to dealing with domestic abuse in all its forms.