Report Noise Nuisance

We may be able to help if you have tried everything to stop the noise or do not feel comfortable approaching those responsible

Get in touch with Housing and Communities on 01202 123789 or with the address of your neighbour, together with your name, address and phone number and some detail about the noise you are experiencing.

We will look at the information and may send you a noise pack, which contains noise record sheets. 

Alternatively, you can also print your own noise nuisance record sheets

Noise nuisance record sheets

It will assist an investigation if you keep a written record of the noise. You should provide: 

  • A description of the noise and how it affects you in your home
  • The dates the noise disturbs you
  • The times the noise starts and then stops

The noise record sheets should cover three weeks. If the noise is still there after three weeks, you need to send the sheets to us.

If we agree that the noise could be a statutory nuisance, we’ll investigate. An officer may visit your home to assess the problem or they may be able to install noise monitoring equipment.

Abatement Notice

We serve Abatement Notices under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if the noise is proved to be a statutory nuisance. An appeal against a notice can be made through the Magistrates Court.

If the problem continues, a prosecution can result in an unlimited fine and further fines can be made for subsequent offences.

In cases where the requirements of an Abatement Notice are not complied with, an application may be made to the Magistrates Court for a warrant to enter premises. In this instance, noise equipment may be seized and held pending the outcome of any prosecution.

Private action

If we don’t agree that the noise is statutory nuisance, the Council will take no further action. You may feel you are still suffering from noise problems, in which case you have a right to take private action through the Magistrates Court. 

Some types of noise only occur very occasionally or at night. If we can’t witness the noise first-hand, we won’t be able to take action. If this happens, you can take independent action by complaining directly to the Magistrates Court under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.  

You don’t have to employ a solicitor, but we suggest that you take some legal advice.       

Out of Hours Noise Service

To report a noise problem that is occurring outside of normal working hours, phone 0800 0281870. If the lines are busy please leave your details on the answer machine and we will contact you as soon as we can. 

We have officers who work outside of normal working hours regularly and they may be able to attend to witness the reported noise shortly after your call and take any necessary action. When officers are not on duty, we log calls for action the next working day or we ask you to contact us during office hours to discuss the problem.