ASPIRE is part of the Interreg VA Channel programme and will run to February 2023.
The project has a total budget of over 10 million euros and involves partners from across southern England and northern France.
ASPIRE (Adding to Social capital and individual Potential In disadvantaged REgions) has received more than 7 million euros from the European Regional Development Fund.
ASPIRE is an innovative programme to support people who are unemployed to reach a healthy weight and gain employment in areas where levels of unemployment and obesity are abnormally high. Using partner expertise and combining employability skills and healthier lifestyle choices, ASPIRE will support people to achieve their health and career goals.
The project will provide a holistic approach to lowering obesity and unemployment rates in identified communities where these two issues are common and definitively linked. A recent Gallup poll shows that the longer a person is unemployed, the higher the rates of obesity, with rates reaching up to 32.7% after a year or more of unemployment.
The aim of this project will be to improve the relationship that our participants have with their food, with access to local health produce and consequent weight loss, and to provide them with the skills and support needed to successfully gain employment.
- Lead Partner - WP - Health and Europe Centre
- Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Mission Locale Picardie Maritime
- Maison pour l’Enterprise, l’Emploi et la Formation Santerre Haute Somme
- C3 Collaborating for Health
- Betteshanger Country Park Ltd
- Vivons en Forme (Association Fédérons les villes por la santé)
- Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council (Sustainable Food City Partnership)
- Medway Community Healthcare CIC
- Centre Social Audrey Bartier