Needle Finds Or Injuries
How to report needles or other drug litter. What to do for needle stick injury.
If you find drug litter:
- Do NOT touch syringes or needles
- Do NOT put drug litter in the bin or in recycling bins
- Do NOT put drug litter down a drain
- Do NOT flush drug litter down the toilet
Drug litter on public land
We will arrange safe disposal
Drug litter on private land
It's the responsibility of the land owner to organise clearance of drug litter.
Needle stick injury
- Immediately wash the injured area under running water, encourage the wound to bleed if the skin is broken.
- Do NOT suck the wound
- Wash the injured area with soap and water and cover with a waterproof plaster
- Attend A&E as soon as possible
- SQUEEZE IT. WASH IT. REPORT IT.
There is a risk of contracting blood borne viruses such as Hepatitis and HIV from a needle injury.