Environmental Information Regulations
Your right of access to environmental business information held by us
You can also download a leaflet which explains more about the EIR Regulations.
What is environmental information?
Environmental information covers information on the state of the environment, such as:
- Air, atmosphere, water, soil, land, landscape (and the interactions between them)
- Information on emissions and discharges, noise, energy, radiation, waste and other such substances
- Measures and activities such as policies, plans and agreements
- Reports, costs benefit and economic analyses
- The state of human health and safety, contamination of the food chain
- Cultural sites and built structures (as they may be affected by environmental factors)
How do I access environmental information using these regulations?
You may be able to find some information on the Council’s website. You may find it useful to look at the Council’s Publication Guide|.
What do I do if I cannot find the information on the Council’s website?
Sometimes information you are looking for may not be available on our website. If you cannot find what you are looking for, you can make a formal request for information under these Regulations.
Will I be able to see all the information I have requested?
The Regulations permit access to environmental information. Some information you request may be withheld under the exceptions
Is there a charge for making a request and for information being provided?
There is no charge for submitting a request and it is unlikely that you will be charged for information we provide to you. However, if a charge is identified, we will let you know before we proceed. More information can be found under Council’s fees and charges page.
How will the information be provided to me?
You tell us how you would like to receive the information and in what format. If we are unable to provide it in the format you have asked for, we will let you know and offer an alternative.
How long do I have to wait for information to be provided to me?
We will usually provide information to you within 20 working days of your request being received. If this is not possible, we will let you know. Sometimes it may take longer if:
- We need to clarify your request with you
- If the information you have asked for may be subject to exception
- If there is a charge and we are awaiting payment